Thursday, November 17, 2011

Shopping Your Closet


Budget. A word that strikes fear into the hearts of fashionistas and clothes horses everywhere. Okay, that may be a little melodramatic, but you get the point. Even the fiercest of fashion mavens has to deal with cash shortages. But you can still look your best if you learn how to shop your own closet.

Whatever look you are trying to create can probably at least be started with items you own already. First of all, don’t get too caught up in creating the exact duplicate of what you see in a magazine or catalog. Use it as inspiration. For instance, in my color blocking blog, I didn’t match Solange Knowle’s outfit exactly. I used items I already had and borrowed inspiration from her color palette. Figure out what it is you are liking so much about what you are seeing and work with that.

Also, look at your clothing with new eyes and an open mind. Get creative. Sequins are a big trend right now, even for the daytime. You don’t need to have a sequined skirt to pull the look off, though. You can use your sequin party dress with a cozy sweater thrown over the top. This is also a good way to try out a trend before you buy. A sequin strap shows on one shoulder? It will just make the look that much cuter. You don’t have to use your clothes in the exact way they are intended. Work them the way you want to and the way that works for you. You paid for them. They are yours to do with as you please.

If you have some money to spend, take a closet inventory so that you know what you already have and what you REALLY need to complete the look. Chances are you don’t actually need the bag, shoes, pants, shirt, AND coat. You probably have at least some pieces that will pull the look off already. This also helps you keep your head when you are actually at the store and not go into a shopping binge. If you are working with a budget, make sure what you do buy will work with what you already own. For instance, in the outfit shown below, I’ve had that shirt for quite a while now. Only the skirt is new and was purchased AFTER I figured out what look I wanted to accomplish. It helped me fall in love with that shirt all over again, too. 

 INC Shirt, Express Shirt, Bangles, Nordstrom Earrings, Claire's Hairpics
 


Prioritize. You don’t need to get everything on your wish list all at once. Start with the pieces that you are going to be able to work into your current wardrobe first, and then move to the more specialty items afterward. I admit, I’m not very good at this one but I’m working on it. There is a definite satisfaction that comes with saving up and getting the quality item you want at a time where it isn’t going to break the bank.

And finally, if you have a hip, stylish mom like mine and you’ve already shopped your own closet, you can often go to what I like to call the “mommy store.” I am fortunate enough to have a mom who has saved some of her most special pieces over the years. And retro is all the rage right now. Some of my most favorite pieces used to be my mom’s. The bonus to this is they really can’t be found anywhere else and add a totally authentic vibe. I also have some amazing things that were my grandmother’s, including three brass bangles that couldn’t be more chic. I get to be fashionable and honor the women who got me here all at the same time.

Here’s a mommy store example: I loved the urban cowgirl outfits Ralph Lauren sent down the runway this season, but wasn’t positive I could pull them off and didn’t want to throw down the money until I was sure, so I called mom. Sure enough she had some great belts she mailed me and I already had a white blouse and buff leather pants to go with them. No money out of pocket and I get to do my little turn on the catwalk.
So don’t get caught up in creating exact looks -- get creative, take inventory, and keep in mind what you own. Prioritize, and when all else fails, go to the mommy store. The best part: your closet and the mommy store are open 24/7 and have excellent credit terms.

So what’s in your closet or your mommy store? What items in your closet deserve to be given new life? I’d love to hear and be inspired by you! Suggestions, advice, blog ideas, and comments? Bring them on. I’m dying to know what you all think. You can either comment below or email me at princessheathab@gmail.com.

Next on my blogging agenda is:

• Sequins: Not Just For Parties Anymore
• To Buy or Not To Buy, That is the Question
• It’s a Croc, The Ugg Effect
• Holiday Dressing for Dazzling Effect
• How to Dress Appropriately for Any Occasion

And as always,

Be Fierce. Be Fashionable. Be Yourself.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment