Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Five Coats Every Woman Needs In Her Closet


The weather has turned chilly here in San Francisco. It’s crisp and beautiful with a razor’s edge to it, and it has me thinking coats. I know I had a whole list of other things to write about, but the cold snap has frozen them clean off for now.  I promise I’ll get to them soon, but first, to keep you cozy AND chic during the winter months and beyond, here is a list of the five coats every woman should have in her closet.

  1. Trench Coat. Whether thigh-skimming or ankle-dusting, find the one that works for you. I recommend camel or black in color to really up the versatility. If you splurge on one coat on this list, it should be this one. It will be your go-to. A trench looks great over jeans, stylish over your work suit, and smashing at the club. It’s warm, stylish, and says, “I have it together.” See the two below to get an idea of what I’m talking about.


  1. Denim Jacket. When spring arrives, the sun dresses come out and a denim jacket is the perfect complement. It keeps things relaxed and breezy. Over any dress, it can take the look from club to a more relaxed, “I’m heading for a hike or to the beach” feel. A denim jacket is for when you don’t want to take yourself or anything you have to do too seriously. It’s sort of the anti-trench coat. There are many styles and shapes out there. Pick the one that flatters your body. Dark washing or light, it’s your call; just avoid anything that smacks of acid wash, unless you’re attending an 80’s party.
  1. Leather / Pleather Jacket. I’m sort of a sucker for leather. I have way too many leather coats for any one person, but that’s because they give any outfit an instant edge. They are the coats I grab when I want to let people know not to mess with me, give off a bad girl vibe, or up the cool factor. Biker chic, cropped, ruffled, quilted, or simple and sleek, there are a lot of options. Find the one that makes you feel like a badass and rock it for all it’s worth. Again, I wouldn’t skimp price-wise. Leather lasts a long time and actually looks better the more worn it gets, so as long as you don’t pick anything too trendy, a leather jacket will be with you a long time. Throw this jacket on over a party dress or over jeans and a white tee shirt and you are the coolest girl in the room. Lately I’ve seen them over maxi-dresses for a super cute way to extend them into winter/fall. These are my current favorites.
  1. Something Practical.  This is something you won’t hear out of my mouth very often. Depending on the climate in which you live, this may be a rain coat or a parka. This is the coat you throw on when you walk the dog, go for a hike, or go skiing or sledding. Practical doesn’t have to mean shapeless, though, so make sure it flatters your figure AND makes you feel warm and snuggly. The coat pictured below is similar to the one in my closet.

  1. Something Outrageous, Sumptuous, and a Little Over the Top.  Mine are faux-fur. I can hardly keep my hands off myself when I wear them. They make me want to purr at their softness. I instantly feel more glamorous the second I throw one on. However, I just saw a lace trench coat at Bebe that would do the same thing. Maybe yours is velvet. Whatever it is, this is your formal coat. This is the coat you put on with your nicest dress and your red lipstick. This is the coat that lets people know you didn’t just show up -- you arrived. This is the coat that makes you smile just to wear it and a little sad when you have to take it off. Below is my newest faux-fur crush. It looks even better in person and is twice as soft as you think it is. Meeeeoooow!

Whatever coat you choose to wear, remember your outerwear is the icing on your fashion-cake. It can make or a break an outfit. Sometimes it pulls an entire look together into a cohesive whole, so choose wisely and stay warm out there.

Need help finding a coat?  Shoot me an email at princessheathab@gmail.com with your size, shape, and budget, and I’ll do my best to assist you. I’d love to hear your suggestions, advice, blog ideas, and comments as well. You can either comment below or email me at the above address.

Next on my blogging agenda is:

• Shopping Your Closet
• Sequins: Not Just For Parties Anymore
• To Buy or Not To Buy, That is the Question
• It’s a Croc, The Ugg Effect
• Holiday Dressing for Dazzling Effect

I hope you’ll come back and read them all. Until then…

Be Fierce. Be Fashionable. Be Yourself.

XOXO

H

No comments:

Post a Comment